Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Shrimp n Grits

My in laws recently asked for a shrimp and grits recipe that I have. I cannot remember where the recipe came from, but it is very easy and oh so good! Since I was typing it up, I thought I would share with all.





1 cup of stone ground grits
chicken broth - optional
salt and pepper to taste
cayenne pepper to taste- optional
1/4 c butter
2 c shredded sharp cheddar cheese (I prefer white vermont cheddar...yum!)
1 lb shrimp, peeled and devined
bacon (as much or as little as you like)
4 tsp lemon juice
1 c scallions or green onion
clove garlic minced



Prepare bacon in oven on 425 for 15-20 min or until brown and crispy...make sure to save the grease!


Prepare grits according to package instructions. I opt to use part water/part chicken broth. Once prepared, add butter, cheese, salt, and pepper and stir until melted, cover until later.



Add bacon grease to pan and heat on medium for 3-5 minutes until HOT. Add shrimp and cook until shrimp turns pink...about 3 minutes. Add lemon juice, cayenne pepper, scallions, and garlic and remove from heat.



Add shrimp mixture to grits, stir, and garnish with crumbled bacon.



Serve this with a salad and it becomes an easy weekday meal or fancy it up to your liking...enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I love shrimp and grits and this recipe is different than the one I use. I'll have to try it...love the shrimp cooking in bacon grease!

    ReplyDelete