Monday, June 1, 2009

Its a Family Tradition

For the past few years now, we have gotten together with my husbands family for a camping trip to the Smokey Mountains. This year was the third year so now its tradition. And this is a real camping trip: sleeping in tents, cooking on a campfire, no showers, etc. Anyone who knows me must be shocked that I go and will be even more shocked to know that I LOVE it! There is something really fun about having to get all prepared and hunkered down for a few days. There is no cell phone reception whatsoever and the nearest anything is 45 minutes away. So it is a true getaway. We arrived Friday afternoon to this...








The Elkmont Campground is located inside the Smokey Mountain park and is situated alongside a mountain stream. The water is freezing but very refreshing when you need it. And at night, there is nothing better than the sound of that stream as you drift asleep. I can say that I sleep very peacefully camping regardless of the black bear warnings posted everywhere! Of course, we had 2 protectors, Jetta and Dora that kept watch for us.



We awoke Saturday to a breakfast of fried eggs and bacon cooked on the campfire. Some friends of my sister in law came up for the day with their two girls and 10 week old baby, Kadyn...isn't he precious!?






After breakfast, we all decided to go on a hike. So 7 adults, 5 children and a baby made our way through one of the trails in the park. The trail was paved and it ran alongside the stream. So we got a decent workout with an incredible view and many many rests along the way.







On the last part of the hike, we saw a huge shadow that flew over and landed on this tree. I have NEVER seen an owl in the wild. I was just as thrilled if not more so than the kids were at the sight of it.

After the hike, the kids played hard, making mud pies, exploring, tubing, etc






And the adults relaxed...




Saturday ended with extreme hunger followed by exhaustion...




As much as I love the camping for the weekend, I am ALWAYS ready to go home on Sunday. I have reached my limit on no bathing, campfire smoke, etc. We pack up and head out but always stop somewhere for a big meal before making the long trip home. This year we stopped by the Back Porch Restaurant in Townsend and actually remembered to get a group photo minus a few of us.

Until next year...

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful pictures! I would like to spend a day like that, I am too scared to sleep outside!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE camping too, but Miz is not a huge fan. Did Lucy stay home?

    ReplyDelete